If you are preparing to sell your home, you already know about the concept of staging, and if you're on my website, you know that your home should STAND OUT. While others ignore the minor details, you will not, and your home will stand out compared to the competition.
While most people think about pretty flowers in the front yard and the perfectly set table in the dining room, the fact is that staging is much more than nice lifestyle elements. Staging is something that should be considered throughout the home. It’s creating a scene in which your buyers can envision themselves living their life in your home. Most importantly, your organization and decor demonstrates that you care for your home and haven't skipped out on any major maintenance items.
One of the most overlooked areas when staging is the closet. All buyers will open closets, and when they do, you want them to see a spacious place for their belongings. Here are a few tips for organizing and staging your closet to attract buyers:
- Declutter and Remove – Yes, that old adage that "less is more" when it comes to home staging is true here too. Remove anything you don’t absolutely need, and pack away seasonal items. You should be moving before you'll need the next season's clothes!
- Use Matching Hangers – This might sound odd, but replacing all your hangers which
nice, new, matching hangers creates an organized look.
- Keep Floor Free – Nothing should be on the floor if at all possible. Place everything from the floor on a
shelf or rack if possible.
- Organize by Color – This is one of the easiest ways to make your closet seem more
organized. Once you have them arranged by color, then group by length as well.
- Add Soft Lighting – Not too low, but gentle lighting makes the space seem bigger and
more inviting. Turn these lights on during showings!
Staging is essential to attract home buyers. As part of your overall strategy, remember closets, drawers, and other small spaces which might not seem as important, but done well will make a big impact to your buyers.