This is Part 5 of a series of blog posts that consist of tips for a successful showing when selling your home.
Light up the home!
Does your home look its best in the late afternoon with all the lights off? Highly unlikely. As an agent, I’m often running around trying to find every light switch in the house. I often can’t find all of them, so some lights remain off which can affect the buyers’ perception of the home. Does it make or break the sale? Probably not, but if you do a bunch of little things to make your home feel welcoming, it can make a big difference! Your electric bill will rise slightly, but your home will sell quicker. Turn the lights on!
- Turn on every light in the house, including lights in the closet.
- Turn on all lamps. Does one room look brighter than the next? Add a lamp to the darker room to add some light.
- Do your appliances have lights? Under the microwave and the light under the refrigerator water dispenser are common. Turn them on too.
- Open all the curtains to let in light.
- Keep blinds partially closed that otherwise show undesirable outdoor scenery such as a dilapidated fence or a nearby structure that obstructs views.
- Turn off the TV (except when using the TV to play some light classical music).